Wednesday, June 30, 2010

This may be the thing that bothers me most about Social Media.

I am a nice person.


I don't go out of my way to be confrontational but I am not afraid to defend myself if need be. Instead of picking a fight I have always thought it more impact full to walk away from a fight, follow the person home and put a bumper sticker on their car saying "registered sex offender".

I think a lot of people are like me but if you were to read social media streams you would imagine more people are like the kid in the picture and less polite then yours truly.

Now I am no shrinking violet and I LOVE SOCIAL MEDIA but I am really bothered by the fact that people use their "amplified voice" to criticize people and brands instead of being more constructive like trying to find love or teach someone something.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would have more respect for the people who would walk into an [insert brand name here] store and scream expletive filled descriptions of their unhappyness (spelled like the movie...not a typo) to the kid in the store so you are reminded that there are real people involved in these companies then run to twitter and ruin the chances of me finding love.

4 comments:

duanebrown said...

This is hard to do Saul. It's like asking someone out. Few can stand the face to face interactive and potential events that occur because of it. Also it's just easier to do it online then walk into a real store with real people.

saulcolt said...

I agree it is easier and that is the point I am trying to make. it is too easy so therefor people are less forgiving and intentionally cruel.

...and for the asking people out part, making out is always more fun face to face and not on skype :)

David Fung said...

The internet also offers some degree of anonymity that is used by cowards to "empower" themselves to criticize others behind the veil of a fake alias. It's like boxing shadows.

Vinyl Banners said...

Saul,

Great thought. Nothing is worse than someone making one little Tweet and send an entire company into a tailspin. Thanks for the post!

Apture

 
Powered by Olark